October 24, 2018
As most of you know, the Board distributed a survey to our membership over the summer, and met shortly afterward to discuss the results during a day-long Strategic Planning Session facilitated by Councillor Shawn Cleary.
In the words of our Chair, Lorelei Burgess, “The session was very well done, with direct questions, and a focus that was maintained throughout the day”.
Highlights from the Strategic Planning Session:
1) It was determined that QRMDA should work to improve communication with our members. This resulted in the adoption of some new initiatives, including: Coffee with Karla, more networking opportunities, and Lunch and Learn events.
2) As the Quinpool District evolves, so must our brand and external marketing efforts. To that end, The Board has voted unanimously to freshen our successful Quinpool Holiday campaign to explore a new direction this year.
3) In keeping with Quinpool District’s evolution as a thriving retail and business district, the board has unanimously approved the refresh of the Quinpool logo, and its application to a new mobile-first responsive website. The original logo was designed in 2001, and the current website has retained its overall form since it was originally developed in 2010.
4) The Quinpool District can be better defined with gateway signage — we are working with Councillor Cleary on the funding which will allow us to take advantage of the recently changed HRM bylaws that now allow for gateway signage in our district. This will coincide with the rebranding activities.
5) We need to retain the businesses that we have and work towards attracting quality new businesses to vacant lots, and to the many proposed upcoming developments on Quinpool Road. This will take a lot of hard work and dedication which bring us to the final highlight detailed in this newsletter.
6) We will initiate three new
Committees which will report to the Board
· Marketing, Communications, and Member Engagement
· Business Development and Attraction
· Beautification, Streetscaping & Façade Improvement
If you are interested to join one of these volunteer committees, please e-mail Karla with a brief description of interest; detailing which committee you would like to join and why, and how you believe you could best contribute.